Senior Director, Privacy, Legal AffairsApply now
In this position, you will take on a key leadership role in the legal department, reporting directly to the Chief Privacy Officer at our corporate headquarters in Bellevue, Washington. This position partners across all lines of business (Advertising & Data, Consumer, B2B, IOT, Home & Entertainment, HR, Finance, and Technology) to help drive innovative products and services that are privacy-centric by design. Privacy and customer trust are of paramount importance as we continue to innovate and grow our business.
We’re seeking a Senior Director of Privacy to ensure T-Mobile’s collection, use, and sharing of customer data is consistent with applicable law, company policies and brand positioning, and most importantly, that it is done in our customers’ best interest.
If you are a sharp, technology-adept attorney with a strong background in privacy and a proven record as a team leader, we want to hear from you! If you want a challenge in an exciting and collegial environment, the Un-carrier could be the right fit.
What you'll do in your role.
- Serve as the customer advocate internally to ensure that we earn and protect customer trust around their personal information.
- Lead a team of privacy professionals responsible for legal advice, compliance and program management.
- Provide strategic and legal advice to T-Mobile’s Chief Privacy Officer, General Counsel and other Executives across the enterprise.
- Act as a privacy advisor to the business units, providing legal advice and counsel on a variety of complex legal issues.
- Assist business and corporate clients in complying with internal policies, privacy laws and industry best practices.
- Accountability for T-Mobile’s Privacy Program and advise on privacy and security matters.
- Lead privacy-by-design change management throughout the organization, helping business lines ensure new business models and partnerships incorporate regulatory requirements and industry best practices.
- Build strong working relationships with senior business executives and their teams, while balancing legal risks with legal requirements.
- Provide creative problem solving and dispute resolution.
- Manage oversight of outside counsel.
- Partner with our Government Affairs team and trade associations to influence policy making and ensuring that T-Mobile’s business interests are protected.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of privacy and data security laws, regulations, and trends.
The experience you'll bring.
- 15+ years legal experience counseling corporate clients on privacy and security compliance and transactions as well as providing practical legal advice to senior executives.
- Deep understanding of telecom law, privacy and security law, including in commercial transactions, and industry best practices. Cable, IoT, advertising and media law experience a plus.
- Experience working in-house combined with prior top-tier law firm experience is strongly desired.
- Driven and proactive team leader who is committed to excellence and can motivate a team of top professionals, with proven management skills and a strong team orientation; someone who encourages cooperation and teamwork across organizations and functions.
- Exercises sound business judgment.
- Keen analytical mind and clear intellectual curiosity.
- A proactive energetic approach, ensuring that business (including legal risks) is being taken care of responsibly.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to explain complex matters to non-lawyers.
- Strong collaborator and relationship builder, influencing through trust.
- Ability to act effectively and calmly in situations where there is uncertainty and demanding timeframes.
- Well versed in current consumer privacy/data legislation at the State and Federal levels.
- Experience in developing and managing privacy programs to ensure legal compliance (e.g. CCPA, GDPR, CPNI, ECPA, HIPAA, GLBA, FCRA, etc.).
- Ability to work quickly and effectively and establish partnerships with security personnel to implement practical and effective controls.
- JD is required.
- IAPP Certification a plus.
Check your commute.
Paid R & R
Kick back with paid time off. We want you to have flexibility, convenience, and control over how you recharge.
We fully foot the tuition bill at five online universities (FT only), and provide tuition assistance to other schools for FT and PT employees.
Naturally, we offer steep discounts on our consumer rate plans and all the fantastic accessories we carry. We also hook you up with discount programs for everyday stuff.
Help with the fam
Families rock. But child care, adoption, and surrogacy are big decisions. We offer financial and wellness support to help reduce those burdens and navigate the details.
Options include a 401(k) plan, an annual Employee Stock Grant, and a purchase plan that gives you the chance to grab TMUS stock at a discount.
“The most amazing company ever!”
Current Field Sales Recruiter in Waterville, ME
Ability to think outside the box and bring your own personal best to your career. Tons of communication and flexible to change with customers and employees needs. Fun, fast pace, fantastic people!
We move very fast, you have to be able to roll with it and be excited by change. Thing are not always flawless, but there is tons of support as we grow and change.
Advice to Management
John is the best CEO! Keep communicating, keep things fun, let's be number one!
“Great Work & Great People!”
Current Diversity & Inclusion Field Program Manager in Albuquerque, NM
Culture, leadership, growth, flexibility, & benefits
None, I love it! I can't think of any right now.
“One of the best jobs I’ve ever had”
Former Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
Managers (at least mine) actually listened to and advocated for their employees. Great pay. Nice perks. Good culture -- people didn't seem miserable.
As with any big company, can take a while for things to get done. Lots of layers, etc. But definitely moves faster than other big companies I've worked for.
Advice to Management
Don't advance those mid- to senior mgrs who just go through the motions. Do more to keep smart, talented people on board.
Equal Employment Opportunity
As America’s Un-carrier, T-Mobile USA, Inc. (NASDAQ: “TMUS”) is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The company’s advanced nationwide 4G and 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences for customers who are unwilling to compromise on quality and value. Based in Bellevue, Washington, T-Mobile USA. Inc. provides services through its subsidiaries and operates its flagship brands, T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile. For more information, please visit http://www.t-mobile.com
We Take Equal Opportunity Seriously - By Choice. T-Mobile USA, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All decisions concerning the employment relationship will be made without regard to age, race, ethnicity, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, citizenship status, veteran status, the presence of any physical or mental disability, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Discrimination or harassment based upon any of these factors is wholly inconsistent with our Company values and will not be tolerated. Furthermore, such discrimination or harassment may violate federal, state, or local law.