Director, Product Development - Consumer IoTApply now
Growth Beyond the Smartphone is a top priority for the New T-Mobile. As a key contributor to T-Mobile’s path to a simplistic and delightful experience for customers, we are seeking a Director, Product Development - Consumer IoT. This leader is responsible for the strategy and execution of Consumer IOT at T-Mobile, owning Software (App, Cloud, Firmware) Development, Hardware Development, and Development Operations. The Director is responsible for building and leading a growing a team of software development managers and engineers in the development, delivery and support of solutions and services. Significant emphasis will be placed on identifying opportunities for innovation to ensure the success of the Consumer IoT product offerings.
What you'll do in your role.
- This role will be responsible for the product development of all Consumer IOT products sold by T-Mobile; specifically, the architecture, development and technical operations for all Consumer IOT products sold by T-Mobile, affecting the very experience of our prospective millions of customers, by implementing the technical solutions we endeavor to build.
- Enable new channels for sales of T-Mobile IOT products. (In-App, Non-T-Mobile Retail, etc.), partnering internally across Product & Development to enable online sales of Consumer IOT products.
- Develop the technical systems that will allow a 3rd party hardware device maker to easily get their products onto the T-Mobile network including the work required for portals, APIs, SDKs and “Kits” that accelerate development.
- In this new role, this hands-on leader will assess existing and potential talent to build-out this world-class team of up to 80 software engineers across Frontend, Backend, Embedded, SDKs and partnerships with the other technical teams across T-Mobile.
- Form strategic partnerships with senior internal customers within and outside of technology organization. Intimately understand their business strategies, generate new ideas, manage issues and ensure that strategy is appropriately aligned.
- Actively plan and manage a portfolio of high quality products & services through a lifecycle of envisioning/investing/sustaining/retiring.
- Contribute to strategy and supporting roadmaps aligned to overall strategy in collaboration with other directors and engineering teams.
- Drive innovation, improvement and adoption of industry leading practices including open source, container architecture for all embedded products, including but not limited to IoT devices.
- Recommend and implement technology direction to efficiently and reliably run T-Mobile applications and services on the embedded platform.
- Lead system design of highly scalable systems with native telemetry and monitoring in mind. Enabling self-healing platforms.
- Drive cost out of systems operations and maintain critical technology roadmaps in place to continue to adapt to new technologies.
- Deliver and support a portfolio of software platforms to achieve business objectives. Direct the continual improvement of the embedded platforms.
- Ensure effective collaboration between technology teams and product teams.
- Execute the design, development, and operations of systems that are highly performant and maintain high availability and efficiently manage staff to support systems for continuous availability.
- Accountable for department budget, delivery and service performance, optimizing cost of service delivery, ensuring services are meeting or exceeding service levels.
- Develop, coach and inspire; create and foster career development and growth paths for team members in alignment with company, product and personal objectives.
- Create clear and measurable goals and objectives for the team related to the creation and enhancement of timely, high-quality products, requirements change management, and partnership with cross-functional teams.
- Support senior leadership and the Technology organization in developing and improving product development, product management and project management practices.
The experience you'll bring.
- High caliber Consumer Product development leader with 5-10 years’ experience working with consumer apps and IoT Products. Advanced level understanding of customer experience.
- 5 – 8 years’ experience managing teams of 5 or more Manager level direct reports with skip level employees in Product Management organization
- A customer fanatic, who sees things with a customer lens. Has produced simple solutions and top notch experiences for consumers.
- Successful track record to have owned, managed and developed engineering teams capable of serving a subscriber base (8+ years exp)
- Progressive leadership experience in setting technology strategy, development, engineering, and operations (5+ years exp)
- Developed technology strategy and product roadmaps.
- Broad technology product experience and a passion for staying abreast of the state of the market – both broad industry trends and in-depth in an area of specialization; enough technical perspective to evaluate and make decisions about architecture and implementation of systems.
- Well versed and experienced in Agile / Continuous Development and Deployment across several Software Development teams.
- Proven success interfacing with non-technical and technical counterparts with demonstrable capabilities of effecting change.
- Ability to analyze complex situations, make difficult decisions and communicate impact to teams and stakeholders.
- Negotiation and conflict resolution while maintaining productive relationships.
- Strong customer-facing skills; ability to define and articulate complex process flows and system flows to business leaders in other departments.
- Transformational leader – strong track record of changing and steering organizational culture including how teams operate and collaborate.
- An excellent leader or large teams, coach and mentor who has built and led high-performing marketing or product teams.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead both direct teams, and large cross-functional teams, toward a common goal.
- Skilled in negotiation and partner management
Enough about what you’ve done. Let’s talk about who you are.
- Strategic and visionary leader skilled in in recruiting, retaining and developing a dynamic, high-performing team
- Builds trust and strong cross-functional relationships across an organization to achieve common goals; partners well and brings people along
- Customer-obsessed; considers the impact on customers with every business decision
- Challenges the status quo; smart and innovative; thinks outside the box
- Strong problem solving skills with the ability to turn findings into executable plans
- Solid business acumen
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; a direct communicator
- Thrives in a high pressure, fast-paced environment.
Check your commute.
Other Available locations.
Kansas City, Dallas, Atlanta
Paid R & R
Kick back with paid time off. We want you to have flexibility, convenience, and control over how you recharge.
We fully foot the tuition bill at five online universities (FT only), and provide tuition assistance to other schools for FT and PT employees.
Naturally, we offer steep discounts on our consumer rate plans and all the fantastic accessories we carry. We also hook you up with discount programs for everyday stuff.
Help with the fam
Families rock. But child care, adoption, and surrogacy are big decisions. We offer financial and wellness support to help reduce those burdens and navigate the details.
Options include a 401(k) plan, an annual Employee Stock Grant, and a purchase plan that gives you the chance to grab TMUS stock at a discount.
“The most amazing company ever!”
Current Field Sales Recruiter in Waterville, ME
Ability to think outside the box and bring your own personal best to your career. Tons of communication and flexible to change with customers and employees needs. Fun, fast pace, fantastic people!
We move very fast, you have to be able to roll with it and be excited by change. Thing are not always flawless, but there is tons of support as we grow and change.
Advice to Management
John is the best CEO! Keep communicating, keep things fun, let's be number one!
“Great Work & Great People!”
Current Diversity & Inclusion Field Program Manager in Albuquerque, NM
Culture, leadership, growth, flexibility, & benefits
None, I love it! I can't think of any right now.
“One of the best jobs I’ve ever had”
Former Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
Managers (at least mine) actually listened to and advocated for their employees. Great pay. Nice perks. Good culture -- people didn't seem miserable.
As with any big company, can take a while for things to get done. Lots of layers, etc. But definitely moves faster than other big companies I've worked for.
Advice to Management
Don't advance those mid- to senior mgrs who just go through the motions. Do more to keep smart, talented people on board.
Equal Employment Opportunity
As America’s Un-carrier, T-Mobile USA, Inc. (NASDAQ: “TMUS”) is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The company’s advanced nationwide 4G and 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences for customers who are unwilling to compromise on quality and value. Based in Bellevue, Washington, T-Mobile USA. Inc. provides services through its subsidiaries and operates its flagship brands, T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile. For more information, please visit http://www.t-mobile.com
Equal Employment Opportunity
We take equal opportunity seriously—by choice.
T-Mobile USA, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All decisions concerning the employment relationship will be made without regard to age, race, ethnicity, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religious affiliation, marital status, citizenship status, veteran status, the presence of any physical or mental disability, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Discrimination, retaliation or harassment based upon any of these factors is wholly inconsistent with how we do business and will not be tolerated.